Friday, June 12, 2015

Valedictorian Nomination Speech

The Beatles once said, "There's nothing you can do that can't be done, Nothing you can sing that can't be sung, Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game, It's easy."

Fellow student, faculty, family members and honoured guests,

Today marks a milestone in our lives. Today, we become college graduates.  For the last couple years, life has been the same thing. Homework, assignments, projects, exams and many sleepless nights. Right now, I feel like I did on my first day of school; scared, terrified, and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I can say it wasn’t always easy, and at some times I'm sure we all wanted to give up, but we made it. 

Two years ago, I was in a dark place. I suffered from depression and anxiety and I had no sense of where I was going with my life. Dead end job after dead end job, and just getting out of an abusive relationship I decided it was time to do something for me, for the first time in my life. I was going to go back to school because I wanted to, not because other people were on my back to go back, telling me what to take and what to do. It was time for a fresh start. At 22, moving away from the comforts of home, going 4-wheeling on the weekends, having beers on the beach with friends, and living a life that lead nowhere needed to stop. It was time to spread my wings. 

When I look back on my journey at Kingstec, I will always remember two very important things that two very knowledgeable  instructors of mine have taught me. The first came from a first year teacher. She told me that whatever I want to do in life, to never take no for an answer. My dream job was to meet Justin Trudeau, work for him, and hopefully make him fall in love with me no matter how hopeless that dream seemed. I had an obsession with politics and I wanted the rush of an election campaign to be my entire life. I applied for a job on parliament for a summer, and got turned down because I wasn't in university. Heather stepped in, helped me write a letter to Scott Brison, Keith Irving, and Justin himself. I didn't get a reply from any but, it felt good to stand up for myself and go for what I wanted. 

The second, came my second year at Kingstec. All I wanted was to get a good grade in Jill Hiscock's classes. She's a phenomenal teacher who knows her stuff, but she's the hardest marker but for good reason. I worked hard, probably a bit too hard on those papers for her but you know what? My second year I didn't get anything lower than 80's in her class. 
She told me that once you are lined up with what you are meant to do, success will just happen. Jill pushed me, often to the point of tears but, she taught me that I could do it and with her help, I proved that to myself. 

My dream is to be a sport marketer and to someday work for a team I’ve grown up cheering for. I can say I began that journey by interning with Acadia Athletics and the Valley Junior A Wildcats. Since then, they have gone on a 8 game winning streak, and made the playoffs. I would like to give myself a pat on the back for bringing them good luck. They are experiences I will never forget. 

I want to highlight what this really is for not just me, but for many of us. Many of us had goals to achieve, some of us wanted to prove something to ourselves and to others who often said we couldn't do it, and a lot of us have unique stories of overcoming fears, and adversity. I know for me, it's not just graduating from college after not being in school for 5 years. This to me is overcoming many obstacles to get to this moment. I survived a brain tumour, one that was meant to take me away from this world or leave me paralyzed. Here I am 14 years later, giving this speech, happy, healthy and a survivor. I survived abusive relationships, small town drama, and a lot of people who didn't believe in me who kept bringing me down lower than I was. All of our stories are unique, and whatever has brought you to this day, you made it. You are also a survivor, and I am so proud of you all. 

A few memorable moments come to mind when I think back on my two years here. Many drives up to the look off during the first few weeks of living in the Valley, working on an election campaign, watching the Red Sox win the world series and the Patriots win the Super Bowl and my favourite moment of all, bugging Peter Mowatt every single day about putting an Acadian flag in the front atrium until they put one up. Peter, if you’re here, I’m sorry.

I’d like to take a brief moment to thank a few important people. First of all, the creators of Kraft Dinner, pizza pockets and Mr. Noodles. You have made college much cheaper to survive. Thank you to the creators of orientation packs for including hot sauce….to spice up that Kraft Dinner. And lastly, I’d like to thank the moms out there for sending some home cooked food in those care packages so we would have real food once in a while.

Class of 2015, own your stories about what got you here and always remember how far you've become.  We’re young and we’re free and the world is our oyster.... I honestly have no idea what that means but let’s take a look at your future. As soon as we walk through those doors today, we make what we want of the world. We may work at jobs we love or hate but when you walk through those doors, I want you to remember two very valuable pieces of advice: 

Number one: Line yourself up with what you love, and with what you’re meant to do and you’ll find success. 

Number Two: Don’t ever take “no” for an answer. If you want it, you will find a way. 

Well grads, it’s been a crazy ride and I wish you nothing but the best. Shoot for the stars, but most of all, don't stop believing in yourself.

Congratulations class of 2015, we made it.


No comments:

Post a Comment